Beginning in September 2011, Ontario will have strict rules about what students are to be eating at school.  This has caused some business' to create new recipes that follow the new health policy guidelines.  Is a school responsible for what students eat nowadays?  I feel the government has it all wrong.  Students are eating more because they are heavily involved in sedimentary activities such as video gaming, internet surfing, watching TV.  More often than not as children are engaged in these activities they reach for a soda, bag of chips or whatever to satisfy their hunger.   This sedimentary activities are a double edge sword.   Ontario should launch a campaign that bans or tells parents the destruction that these activities cause.  I have done some reading about this and I am sure they are gobs of studies that will support the ideas here but why isn't anything been done by the government to inform parents.  Limiting the type of food schools provide is only a band-aid solution to the unhealthy eating practices students have learned.

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree Lucio.  It is sad that our job has come down to dietitian....personal trainer.... lawyer.... judge / jury.....and then we have to find time to teach...I understand the importance of the message of eating healthy and promoting that aspect but where is it going to stop in regards to teachers.  We need to be promoting healthy living and doing active family activities after school instead of sitting down infront of a computer screen or gaming system.  Let's be proactive in this concerning area and not penalize a school for having a bake sale or a pizza day.  Everything in moderation is the key.  It is truly only a bandaid solution to a big problem.

Lisa

Lucio, nice thoughts on a new thread.  In Physical and Health education, the children are taught all about the 4 basic food groups, healthy living, proper exercise and moderation.  It truly does come down to the parents to help children practice what they are taught as it is the parents that are buying the bags of chips, pop, and other goodies that are found in most homes.  Maybe the government also senses that.  They can't control the home life but government can surely put controls on in the schools.  Making food healthier in the schools is just another building block to show parents and society how to do it.  At the end of the day, the parents are the ones that need to make the greater strides. 
Good food for thought Darren and Lisa, (no pun intended).  I feel that part of the problem nowadays is portion size.  We have no control over that. "Large Size It" and "Super Size" is the language that is consistent with these fast food chains.  Small, Medium and Large are no longer what they used to be.  I am guessing that sizes overall were  smaller pre 1990's.  Possibly, the government can do something about creating consistent sizes throughout Ontario when it comes to small, medium and large.  A calorie campaign that educates the public as to how much is really in these sizes will help parents.  When sizes are consistent then we can conduct comparative studies.    Once again Ontario please don't pass these challenges to schools.
We recently moved to whole wheat pizza for our pizza days.  It is a step in the right direction and it does allign with what we are teaching in our Health curriculum.  This was something motivated, not by our government but just a healthier choice.  No complaints yet from parents;)
I agree that government getting into the food choices at school is going a bit far. We already have Daily Physical Activity mandated for us to fit into the day. The curriculum covers healthy food choices. We need to keep those messages at the front each day. At my school, we have daily announcements about healthy lunches and members of student government circulate at lunch and give students with healthy lunches ballots for a weekly draw for a prize like movie passes.
Here is a link that will take you to Bill 150 which is our Health and Food Policy for Schools in Ontario.  Take a look as this may be some more "food for thought" as we continue to discuss this "hot button topic".

Thanks Lucius for the link to Bill 150.  Time to read.

Darren

Thanks for the link L.L. I looked it over and I do like that there are some ways to still incorporate things like bake sales, pizza/hot lunch days. The 80/20 rule (80% from a "sell most" category of very healthy foods but can still sell 20% from a more moderate "sell less" category) allows some wiggle room. Also, the 10 "special event" days the principal and parent council can decide not to follow the guidelines. It helps to know the details before jumping to conclusions.
IM leading this initiative at my school. It is long overdue though, how long do we wait before we doing something about this epidemic of obbesity.
I was rescently in discussions with a few teachers about this new governement initiative and heard a wide range of opinions on this topic which sort of surprised me. ONe person was talking about whether or not we as educators should have a say in what food choices our children make. ANother mentioned that a great deal of revenue is generated by the food options presented at their school. I was surprised to hear there were people sor t of "opposed" to the bill. What may have changed their mind is the one parent who said their sons elementary school had pizza pizza day once a month as well as a Kentucky Fried Chicken day. This was the cery large straw that broke the preverbial camels back. Hard to justify this product in an elementary setting.
Hello. Good post. I agree with many of the points that you have made. As a father of three, my wife and I see it as our responsibility that our children eat well. To some extent this is like DPA - making the health of students the responsibility of the schools and teachers rather than the parents. However, there is the component of this that involves developing healthy lifestyles in our students that will hopefully carry over into their home life and in the years to come.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Our partners

© 2017   Created by Dan Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service